Monday, January 15, 2007

Pull Your Weight


OK, this post may be a little bit of ranting... OK, OK, a LOT of ranting.

We're going on to day 4 of a terrible ice storm that has hit Springfield. This ice storm began last Friday night and came in 3 different waves over the following 3 days. Although it didn't rain (only a few little sprinkles and snow flurries) today, we are still dealing with the aftermath of this past weekend's ice. As of today, over 65,000 people are still without power.

My power has been out since Saturday morning and here it is Monday night. Of course, we had to seek shelter elsewhere. It's hard to keep 2 little boys under 6 years old warm in a house that is currently at 42 degrees. We're lucky to have good friends in Paul & Brooke Dizmang. And they are lucky they have power. Thanks for letting us take refuge in your warm house! Now I know that the Dizmang's are doing us a favor, but it is still important that we pull our own weight. We certainly don't expect them to entertain us or feed us or take care of us. We will pull our own weight by bringing food, blankets and movies to watch.

In the mean time, when you manage over 140 rental properties, you still have to tend to the Tenants. (And this is my ranting part....) However it is not my job to entertain, feed or take care of above mentioned Tenants. They have to pull their own weight. And by this I mean take some initiative to clean the fallen tree limbs off of their own driveway.

Don't yell at me that your power is still out. I am not the electrician or the utility company.

Don't tell me that I don't understand that you've had to evacuate your house because you have a 3 year old and it's too cold. I have a 3 year old (and a 6 year old too) and I've had to evacuate my own house!

Don't tell me how to do my job. I know that we have to fix the electrical mast and that CU won't connect the power until it's fixed. (See above: I am not an electrician). I've answered hundreds of emergency phone calls and have been doing this for the last 7 years. I think that I have a pretty good handle on my job description.

No I will not call City Utilities for you.

OK, OK, OK....I am venting. Yes, the above statements are all things that have been said or thought during my conversations with Tenants. I am really starting to feel the pressure building and I feel like I could snap like an ice covered tree branch.


I am kidding, of course.